Ever since I saw these mini muffins with butterscotch chips at nans yum yums Iv been dying to make them! I cant tell you how many shops Iv visited just to find these darn butterscotch chips!
Only when you are looking for something your sure never to find them. rite????????
Anyway I had the good fortune of meeting my dear friend nandita during my Chennai visit this time. Had a lovely time bonding with her while the rest of the bloggers where having fun at bloggers buzz!! :P
She was thoughtful enough to bring me some of those 'almost' extinct butterscotch chips! 'Finally' I thought.....I would be baking those much desired muffins! yes yes! those muffins were love at first sight! :D
Those muffins were almost good, except for the missing chocolate chips that nans recipe had! oh well! maybe next time.................
I made a few changes to the recipe and also got ideas from this one. I loved her idea of using a crumb mixture on top, which made it extra special. The final product were those soft muffins with the crispy crunchy crumb topping! Tastes amazing the day you make it.
If you're planning to keep it in the fridge and eat it ...you might want to omit the crumb topping as it gets a bit soggy!
happy baking peeps!! :)
INGREDIENTS: makes 6 muffins
1 cup flour
56 gms butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup yoghurt
2 ripe bananas, mashed (approx 1cup)
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
for the crumb mix:1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
a pinch of cinnamon
30 gms butter, cubed
- Pre heat oven to 190 deg celcius. grease muffin pan or use muffin liners
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients stated under ' for the crumb mix' by hand until the mixture is pea sized. keep aside.
- Now to make the muffins, in a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. keep aside
- In another big bowl, with an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the vanilla essence
- Add the egg and beat.
- Add half the yoghurt and half the dry ingredients and mix slightly. Then add another half of yoghurt and dry ingredients and mix till just combined.
- Dont over mix as the muffins will become rubbery.
- Fold in bananas and butterscotch chips .
- scoop the mixture into muffin cups until they are 3/4 th full, leaving room on top for the crumb mixture.
- top with crumb mixture
- bake in the oven for about 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.